Sunday, June 28, 2009

Video Sundaes: Bruce Nauman

I visited the Museum für Gegenwartskunst in Basel, Switzerland recently, a small but lovely space for contemporary art. There were a few Bruce Nauman videos on display and I was reminded how much I really enjoy his performance pieces. They're very simple and personal, and often related to his body or movement in some way. Often he is having a bit of fun, just playing around with expectations of what was considered art, or discovering new ways to relate his body to a certain space.

Stomping in Studio (1968). I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite video performances. It's so simple, yet so mesmerizing to me. I think it's the repetitive sound.


Pinch Neck and Walking in an Exaggerated Manner Around the Perimeter of a Square (1967-68)



Violin Tuned D.E.A.D. (1968)


Art Make-Up (1967)


I think next week I'll do some less kooky fare. Maybe some music videos?

No comments: